Individual Sellers are Better than Dealers
You may explore online classified sites e.g. OLX.com.pk , PakWheels.com etc to find a suitable used car near to you.
Verify Car Documents and Owner CNIC
- Check registration copy of vehicle physically and make sure that it has not been tampered or changed in any way.
- Ask for return file, either it is with the owner or in the excise office. If owner have it, check it carefully. Check if it is duplicate.
- Match registration number, engine number and chassis number on documents and on parts of vehicle.
- Ask for original computerized number plates, which comes with vehicles registered within past few years.
- Check original CNIC of the owner and match it with the owner name written on the registration book.
- You can instantly check CNIC details of anybody from NADRA by sending its 13 digits number to 7000. Click here for more information about CNIC Verification.
- You can also verify registration details of any vehicle via SMS or online. Click on a link below to see more details.
- Rescue 15 has maintained information regarding stolen vehicles. You may contact Police or Rescue 15 to ask about the vehicle.
- You can also call CLPC (Citizen Police Liaison Committee) on phone number 021-35662222 for verification of cars registered in Sindh and give number plate, chassis number and engine number to get information about any car status. You may also SMS chassis number of the vehicle to 8521 to get details.
Check Engine and Other Machinery
- Engine and other parts under the bonnet should be clean and there should not be any sign of leakage or other wear and tear.
- Engine can be checked by opening the engine oil lid, and after opening it accelerate the car in neutral mode. If you see smoke coming out of oil chamber then it’s a sign that engine is not in good condition.
- Check engine oil to know how well the vehicle is maintained.
- Check suspension and gears system.
- Check AC and Heating system.
- Test drive the vehicle on both petrol and CNG.
- Check shock absorbers by putting your weight hard at the corners and letting it go back.
- Check treads and side walls of all the tyres.
- Do not hesitate to check all lights, signals, horns and wind screen vipers too.
- Never rely on the mileage of odometer as meter can be altered very easily.
Condition of Vehicle Body
Interior Condition of the Vehicle
Some More Tips
- Confirm what accessories will be along the vehicle otherwise once deal is done, seller may start removing accessories.
- Take receipts of payment, transfer letter, registration book, return file, photocopies of seller CNIC and all other documents at the time of finalization of deal.
- Try to pay via crossed bank cheque to leave the proof of payment transactions.
- If a smaller car can fulfill your requirements, don't go for a bigger one. As a big car not only cost you more but its running costs - fuel, maintenance, tyres, engine oil and spares will also be higher.
- Do some research before buying a used car because if you get a problematic car, it will not easy for you to get rid of it.
- Take a test drive of the car on highway as well as on a rough countryside road. Turn the car full right and full left. And try to listen body noise.
- Go for the inspection of a car in day time and check under the sun light. Use flash light if necessary.
- Don't buy a model whose spare parts are not readily available.