What is Dengue Fever?
Dengue Fever is also called as Dengi or Dingi Fever. It is also known as Breakbone Fever and DHF (Dengue Hemmorhagic Fever). Dengue Fever is a disease that spreads by the day biting (between 6am~9am and 4pm~7pm). It’s a viral life threatening disease. Dengue Fever lasts from 2 to 7 days.
Dengue Virus and Aedes Aegypti Mosquito
Dengue Virus is spread through a Mosquito of clear water, which is called Aedes Aegypti Mosquito. This mosquito grows in large tanks of water, clear ponds, swimming pools and water containers etc.
Dengue Virus does not spread from person to person.
Symptoms of Dengue Fever
- Extremely Painful in Muscle and Joints
- Headache, Eye Pain and Dizziness
- Loss of Hunger
- Bleeding, Vomiting Blood and Bloody Diarrhea
- Bright Red Pinpoint Spots (mostly on lower limbs and chest)
- Abdominal Pain, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea
- 103~105 °F Body Temperature
|Dengue Fever Patient - Symptoms|
Test Kits are available to diagnose Dengue Fever.
Dengue Fever Prevention and Vaccination
There is no vaccination available in market for Dengue Virus so it’s better to take some preventive measures to be prevented. Here are some most common steps which should be taken to prevent you from Dengue Fever.
- Water Bugs are available to place in water tanks to catch Aedes Aegypti Mosquito.
- As Dengue Virus may be transmitted due to infected blood, so try to ensure that the blood that you are transmitting is not Dengue Virus infected.
- Use mosquito coils and electric vapor mats during the daytime also to prevent dengue.
- Use mosquito nets to protect children, old people and others who may rest during the day.
- Turn pails and watering cans over and store them under shelter.
- Cover rarely used gully traps. Replace the gully trap with non-perforated ones.
- Use sprays to kill Dengue Mosquito.
Dengue Fever Medicines and Treatment
Patient of Dengue Fever should be admitted to nearest best hospital or any other medical facility. Life of patient can be saved by providing timely medical treatment. Supportive Therapy is present for it but there is no proper medicine is available till now. Oral Rehydration and Intravenous Infusions should be given to patient.
Never give Aspirins or Intramuscular injections to patient in this case. However Paracetamol can be taken by patient.
According to WHO (World Health Organization), 2.5 billion people are somehow infected with Dengue Virus from 100 countries. And there are 50 million cases are seen every year from across the world. Dengue Virus is mainly present in countries having warm environment.